Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Schema Sync – Bass Ackwards

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ken

Hey, Schema Sync is cool, no doubt, but…

How come it seems like the GREEN “tables to be added” show up in the box for where they already exist? This is very confusing….”you are going to add database tables that already exist? What?….” –

I think that the colors are backwards, maybe, or Source and Target are reversed.

I would think that tables which are to be added (new) should be green, and in the correct box. The source of those tables, well, who cares, really? Maybe they could have a little plus sign next to them.

In the example, attached, I have a Joomla database and a Drupal database (target). You can see all the GREEN tablenames in the SOURCE, which I can interpret OK, “The Joomla tables will be created in the Drupal database”, BUT, they are in the Joomla box. It seems more sensible that the tables will show GREEN in the box where they are actually to be created.

I guess this is a complication, but it seems like a vast improvement to me, because not all cases are this clearly defined.

Please advise.

peterlaursen
      Participant

What we do is what most

1) common merge tools for common IDE's and

2) text editors etc. with the option to compare files

.. do, I think. But I'd prefer the developer team to comment on that later this week.

nithin

Hello,

I agree your point. But this is the behaviour of any merging tool, it should show the 'differences' where they are present (Source/Target) and user can merge the differences to the target. But in this case the confusion arises because we use a tree view display instead of the normal text merging display. The current design considers the source as well so that the user gets a clear idea of the exact differences before syncing. Changing the current behaviour may introduce new confusions. But honestly we did consider all these before implementing this design.

But we will definately discuss your suggestions.

Thank you

Nithin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.