Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Object Browser Linked With Editor

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Object Browser Linked With Editor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      methai

Feature suggestion:

It would be extremely helpful to add this feature for multi-database or large database companies (we have over 10k tables).

While using the SQL editor, if I place my cursor on a table name in my query (`Database`.`Table`), it would be nice to have an optional setting, as is in many editors, that automatically selects the table from the Object Browser on the left. That way, I can inspect the table further if needed. Essentially, having the object browser linked to the query.

Thanks!

peterlaursen
      Participant

This is actually a very good suggestion. However I do not think it should select in OB just because you place the mouse in a 'database`.`table` string. I think a shortcut or/and a context menu would be better (for some users it will be kind of flickering to select automatically, I think). I also have no idea of implementation and difficulties/efforts to implement this, but I think the 'Autocomplete' database has all information that is required.

Please let us have a little time to discuss this.

methai
      'peterlaursen' wrote on '21:

This is actually a very good suggestion. However I do not think it should select in OB just because you place the mouse in a 'database`.`table` string. I think a shortcut or/and a context menu would be better (for some users it will be kind of flickering to select automatically, I think). I also have no idea of implementation and difficulties/efforts to implement this, but I think the 'Autocomplete' database has all information that is required.

Please let us have a little time to discuss this.

I understand how the automatic link would be annoying 🙂 I forgot to mention this part… In many editors there is an icon/option which can easily be toggled (similar to the “Pin” for pinning a window), which enables or disables auto-linking. This is in Visual Studio, Eclipse, XCode, etc. It's helpful when you want to use the context of the editor's contents to drill down right to the area in the filesystem that you would like to inspect. The toggle lets the user opt-in easily to that functionality without having to familiarize themselves with another key-command (but a key-command would also is a great idea). I occasionally disable this toggle when I want my object browser (file tree) to stay put.

Thanks for the response!

peterlaursen
      Participant

I have added to our issue tracker this:

http://code.google.com/p/sqlyog/issues/detail?id=1497

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.