Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Product Fanfair

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog Comments Product Fanfair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      cpriest

Hey there, just ran across your program a few days ago, absolutely love it, everything I need and more, and to boot, it works! good job.

I've been looking for a replacement for the free control center (from mysql.com) and their newer one, I wasn't happy with either and tried a few of your other competitors which didn't fit the bill, yours is perfect!

Couple of suggestions:

O Try to recognize the data in a blob, or text types so that you can avoid having to have a 'blob…' button to edit those fields. Especially the text field, every sql program I've found uses this type of functionality, maybe its required, but I would think you should be able to edit a 'text' type field the same as a varchar, meaning inline.

Awsome product, and while I don't need the non-free features, I'll purchase just to support the cause.

-Clint Priest

peterlaursen
      Participant

There has been proposed some changes/enhances to the BLOB-viewer function in this forum recently, especially

1) In case BLOB-data are neither image data or text but just plain binary data (could be communication strings, proces data etc) it should be possible to display them in “binary view and “hex view” – somewhat like simple Hex-editors like

Ultraedit and Textpad.

2) A option to launch an external program (as ecternal viewer or as a plugin) in case the BLOB-viewer doesnt recognize the data. I myself proposed that the GNU GTK Graphics library (used for the GIMP) could be used as a plugin.

However do you want a “longtext” field to display on the screen at first sight of “view data”. I'm afraid I'll need to get myself a MUCH wider screen then 😀 . But maybe I just didn't get your point ?

BTW – I believe that it is actually wrong when Sqlyog calls text” for “BLOB” – it is not BLOB (Binary Long OBject) but CLOB (Character Long OBject) what is in MySQL implemented as/called “text”

Shadow

Characters are stored as binary values like all data after all…

peterlaursen
      Participant

Yes – and so is a “bit” type … so that's a BLOB too ? 😀

the_wizzkid

I look at the blob fields using the CTRL + L in the “Result” panel (does't work in the “Table data” panel) for Long text – is a actually a great feature.

By the way, blob's are not shown correctly in the “table data” panel, if the last Column is a Blob. I can see only a part of the blob. Preference Setting: Truncate column headers… : I can see 1/3rd of the blob field, but can't scroll enough to the right to see the “Blob”-Text on the button.

Without the truncate setting: scrolling normally to the right, I can't even see the blob column, and clicking on the > on the scrollbar, I shows partally up. –

Would be good to fix this, as I would miss the last column, if I don't know it's there… 🙁

Shadow

Bit cannot be BLOB, just BOB because it is definitely not large 😀

cpriest

Well, what I'm meaning is that when you use the SQL type 'text', in the data view it shows a button with 'Blob…' in it, I would rather be able to directly edit the text. I can see using the 'blob…' button for blob types but not for 'text' types.

A couple of other suggestions now that I've used it a bit more…

I would *really* like to see column widths default to a minimum of the data length or the width of the header, whichever is greater. Some of my tables don't have data in the columns yet and I always have to expand the column headers just to see what field it is… really annoying.. 😛

peterlaursen
      Participant

The text-type is intended for use where “char” and “varchar” is not big enough. That means > 255 charcjteres (with mysql varchar can actually be 65000 characteres). So I think it should be shown with som symbolic link, like a button, as it is. But I'd Like some more flexible settings. Especilally that the program could remember the column witdths.

Howver you allready can check/uncheck “truncate column headers to max data size” in the settings dialogue.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.