Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Some Questions About Monyog

forums forums Monyog Monyog Comments Some Questions About Monyog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I've been evaluating MONYog and I have a few questions about it. I would be grateful if anybody could help me out with those.

1. On the dashboard interface, it seems that all the graphs need to be plotted against time. Is it the requirement or would it be possible for me to provide a two dimensional array in the JavaScript code to draw the graph using those two values instead of against time? As far as I have seen, this does not seem to be possible though.

2. what commands does MONYog use to collect the system info? Does it also obtain the memory information? I did not see any documentation on how to access the system memory value using MONYog object model.

3. We can modify the client side Java script code to manage the information shown on MONYog web pages. Is it possible to change the server side code or customize it? e.g. if I want to monitor some system resource other than CPU, memory, can I modify the server code to do so?

Can anyone please help me out with this?

Thanks,

Tushar.

Quote:
      Hi,

I've been evaluating MONyog and I have a few questions about it. I would be grateful if anybody could help me out with those.

Thanks for trying MONyog!

Quote:
      1. On the dashboard interface, it seems that all the graphs need to be plotted against time. Is it the requirement or would it be possible for me to provide a two dimensional array in the JavaScript code to draw the graph using those two values instead of against time? As far as I have seen, this does not seem to be possible though.

All the graphs in dashboard interface are plotted against time. And they are last fifteen collected data.

Currently it is not possible to plot any graph against something except time.

But we would like to know your request/doubt in more detail.

Can you give one example of what do you want in the graphs?

Quote:
      2. what commands does MONyog use to collect the system info?

MONyog reads “/proc” file system in Linux systems to collect system related values.

Quote:
      Does it also obtain the memory information? I did not see any documentation on how to access the system memory value using MONyog object model.

Yes it displays the memory information. Of-course, the target system (which you are monitoring) has to be Linux based.

I am discussing the system related MONyog Object Model(MOM) below:

There are four system related categories in MOM. They are:

Physical Memory related:

All these physical memory related metrics gives the values in KB.

“MONyog.System.Mem.sys_mem_total” : Total physical memory.

“MONyog.System.Mem.sys_mem_free” : Available physical memory.

“MONyog.System.Mem.proc_mem_vmrss” : Physical memory being used by MySQL.

Swap memory related:

All these swap memory related metrics gives the values in KB.

“MONyog.System.Swp.sys_swp_total” : Total swap memory.

“MONyog.System.Swp.sys_swp_free” : Free Swap memory.

“MONyog.System.Swp.proc_swp_vmsize” : Swap memory being used by MySQL.

CPU related:

All these CPU related metrics give the number of jiffies spent in various modes, since the last capture.

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_user” : User mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_nice” : Nice mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_system” : System/Kernel mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_idle” : Spent Idly

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_iowait” : Spent in waiting for IO

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_hi” : Spent in hardware interrupts

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_si” : Spent in Software interrupts

Custom:

“MONyog.System.Custom.Available” : If the system is available to MONyog or not.

Quote:
      3. We can modify the client side Java script code to manage the information shown on MONyog web pages. Is it possible to change the server side code or customize it? e.g. if I want to monitor some system resource other than CPU, memory, can I modify the server code to do so?

Currently you can monitor only “Availability”, other CPU and Memory.

NOTE:

—-

Please note that, currently “Timeframe” does not have any effect on system related values.

Thanks for the reply Sabyasachi, much appreciated.

Regarding the graphs, I was just wondering if it was possible to use our own metrics there instead of time e.g. say select_scan plotted against the number of queries that may give an insight into how good our indexing system is.

One more question regarding MONYog, if you dont mind 🙂

Does MONyog support internationalization now? If not, do you guys have any plans to provide it in the near future?

Regards,

Tushar.

Sabyasachi Ruj wrote on Aug 7 2007, 05:24 PM:
      Thanks for trying MONyog!

All the graphs in dashboard interface are plotted against time. And they are last fifteen collected data.

Currently it is not possible to plot any graph against something except time.

But we would like to know your request/doubt in more detail.

Can you give one example of what do you want in the graphs?

MONyog reads “/proc” file system in Linux systems to collect system related values.

Yes it displays the memory information. Of-course, the target system (which you are monitoring) has to be Linux based.

I am discussing the system related MONyog Object Model(MOM) below:

There are four system related categories in MOM. They are:

Physical Memory related:

All these physical memory related metrics gives the values in KB.

“MONyog.System.Mem.sys_mem_total” : Total physical memory.

“MONyog.System.Mem.sys_mem_free” : Available physical memory.

“MONyog.System.Mem.proc_mem_vmrss” : Physical memory being used by MySQL.

Swap memory related:

All these swap memory related metrics gives the values in KB.

“MONyog.System.Swp.sys_swp_total” : Total swap memory.

“MONyog.System.Swp.sys_swp_free” : Free Swap memory.

“MONyog.System.Swp.proc_swp_vmsize” : Swap memory being used by MySQL.

CPU related:

All these CPU related metrics give the number of jiffies spent in various modes, since the last capture.

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_user” : User mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_nice” : Nice mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_system” : System/Kernel mode

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_idle” : Spent Idly

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_iowait” : Spent in waiting for IO

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_hi” : Spent in hardware interrupts

“MONyog.System.Cpu.sys_cpu_si” : Spent in Software interrupts

Custom:

“MONyog.System.Custom.Available” : If the system is available to MONyog or not.

Currently you can monitor only “Availability”, other CPU and Memory.

NOTE:

—-

Please note that, currently “Timeframe” does not have any effect on system related values.

Tushar Mahale wrote on Aug 7 2007, 07:57 PM:
      Thanks for the reply Sabyasachi, much appreciated.

Regarding the graphs, I was just wondering if it was possible to use our own metrics there instead of time e.g. say select_scan plotted against the number of queries that may give an insight into how good our indexing system is.

Let me explain what I understood from your example.

You want to plot Select_scan against number of queries to get an overview of how good the indexing is.

I have a solution:

Say, Select_scan = x, and number of queries = y.

You can always add a dashboard graph to plot x/y, if the ratio is low, I think that means you have good indexing.

Am I missing something to get your requirement?

One more question regarding MONYog, if you dont mind 🙂

No. I won't mind. 😉

Does MONyog support internationalization now? If not, do you guys have any plans to provide it in the near future?

The answer to this is, yes it supports Internationalization now, but to some extent.

MONyog supports UTF-8.

Inputs can be given in any language.

And those will be displayed in that language only. 🙄

But the strings, which MONyog shows itself, are only in English now.

We do not have any immediate plan to convert those strings to support multiple languages. But we will do, once we get some requests from our users.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.