• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

SQLyog Ultimate 9.63
Ubuntu 10.10 64 Bit
WINE 1.2.2

Given a query like: SELECT * FROM customer WHERE customerid=123456;

When viewing in the form view, I will often click the Refresh button to examine the effects of application code on the database. It would be nice if the form view would maintain its scroll position, so that the data I need to examine is right there. Otherwise, after a refresh I have to scroll down again to find what I need.

#2 peterlaursen

peterlaursen

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts
  • Interests:well ... jazz/folk music, photography, chess, nature, ecology, history, bicycling, Highland Malts ... well, Lowland Malts and Cognac too actually :-) just wonder how I get the time to touch a computer! SQLyog and MONyog? no that's not interest, that's BASIC NEEDS simply!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

What is "current scroll position" if data have changed (due to another client working on the same table for instance)?

Besides when you click 'refresh' we will execute a SELECT. This will clear the previous result set stored in memory and populate a new. So we cannot compare the old with the new. The pointer from the old result set may be invalid with the new one (and using it could even cause a program crash - but I am not claiming it could not be avoided with some condition check) or it may point to another row than before.

Since a table may have various kinds of Primary Keys or no Primary Key at all the above referred *pointer* is internal for SQLyog (it is basically a row counter/identifier for the row of the GRID. It is not 'data aware).

Why do you click 'refresh'. Because you want see what changes you did yourself, maybe?
Computers make your grey hair come off ....

Peter Laursen
Webyog

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Sorry - I didn't explain myself very well. I was referring to the position of the scroll bars in the GUI display, not any positioning in the database with a cursor. The table I'm looking at has more columns than can be displayed at once, so I have to scroll down in the display to see the columns I'm interested in. When I refresh (re-execute) the query, the display resets again at the top of the list of columns, so I have to scroll the GUI down again to see the columns I'm interested in.

#4 peterlaursen

peterlaursen

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts
  • Interests:well ... jazz/folk music, photography, chess, nature, ecology, history, bicycling, Highland Malts ... well, Lowland Malts and Cognac too actually :-) just wonder how I get the time to touch a computer! SQLyog and MONyog? no that's not interest, that's BASIC NEEDS simply!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

OK .. let us discuss. 'refresh' button could *lock* the scrollbar (to same position measured in pixels). In most cases this will render the same rows visible as before (unless rows have been inserted or deleted).

I actually have reported another similar issue here (with the horisontal scrollbar in RESULT tab): http://code.google.c.../detail?id=1720

Peter Laursen
Webyog

#5 Mitch

Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks. I was specifically thinking of columns visible in the Form view, but rows visible in the Grid view would also be nice.

#6 peterlaursen

peterlaursen

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Form View may pose more a problem.  But not less relevant obviously. Let me involve developers in discussion. 

Peter Laursen
Webyog

#7 vishal.pr

vishal.pr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

@Peter,
http://code.google.c.../detail?id=1720 has been fixed in v10 tree.

@Mitch

When viewing in the form view, I will often click the Refresh button to examine the effects of application code on the database. It would be nice if the form view would maintain its scroll position, so that the data I need to examine is right there

This is already fixed in v10 and the first beta of v10 is scheduled this week. Stay tuned to our blogs. We would love to have your feedback on it.

Regards,
Vishal P R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users